Gabrielle ‘Coco’ Chanel, the name behind Chanel brand, is one of the most influential names in fashion history. The 20th-Century designer was most known for liberating women and breaking the shackles of Dior’s ‘new look’ and The Belle Époque period. Inspired by men’s clothes, she reevaluated women’s fashion, allowing them to dress freely and independently – the ‘little black dress’ is often credited with being her invention. Not only that, her signature scent, ‘Chanel No.5’, is considered the world’s most famous perfume, and is still encased in the same beautiful Deco glass bottles to this day.
Take a look at our Top 10 favourite Coco Chanel quotes that will never lose character or substance, just like the woman herself.
1. “In order to be irreplaceable one must always be different.”
2. “Nature gives you the face you have at twenty. Life shapes the face you have at thirty. But at fifty you get the face you deserve.”
3. “Fashion passes, style remains.”
4. “Where should one use perfume?’ a young woman asked. ‘Wherever one wants to be kissed,’ I said.”
5. “A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous.”
6. “Dress shabbily and they remember the dress; dress impeccably and they remember the woman.”
7. “Adornment, what a science! Beauty, what a weapon! Modesty, what elegance!”
8. “There is no time for cut-and-dried monotony. There is time for work. And time for love. That leaves no other time.”
9. “I don’t understand how a woman can leave the house without fixing herself up a little – if only out of politeness. And then, you never know, maybe that’s the day she has a date with destiny. And it’s best to be as pretty as possible for destiny.’
10. “The best colour in the whole world, is the one that looks good, on you!’