Here’s our favourite Alexander McQueen quotes that not only reflect him, but the brand and collections.
Apprentice to Savile Row tailors Anderson and Shepard at the age of 16, Lee Alexander McQueen (1969 – 2010) went onto to become one of the most celebrated fashion designers of his generation. His catwalk shows were unforgettable due to their emotional power and raw energy – the perfect showcase for the exquisite clothing that he created. Tailoring, romance, drama and theatricality – McQueen’s signature elements never failed to excite.
1. “Give me time and I’ll give you a revolution.”
2. “You can only go forward by making mistakes.”
3. “Of course I make mistakes. I’m human. If I didn’t make mistakes, I’d never learn. You can only go forward by making mistakes.”
4. “I came to terms with not fitting in a long time ago. I never really fitted in. I don’t want to fit in. And now people are buying into that.”
5. “Fashion should be a form of escapism, and not a form of imprisonment.”
6. “As a designer, you’ve always got to push yourself forward; you’ve always got to keep up with the trends or make your own trends. That’s what I do.”
7. “I can design a collection in a day and I always do, cause I’ve always got a load of Italians on my back, moaning that it’s late.”
8. “I don’t want to be too proud, but I have a good personal style.”
9. “I never look at other people’s work. My mind has to be completely focused on my own illusions.”
10. “I want to empower women. I want people to be afraid of the women I dress.”