Running a fashion eCommerce store can be a very lucrative business, but only if it’s done right. Fashion by itself is a profitable industry, and thanks to the internet, there are many ways to sell clothes online. One of them is to open your own fashion eCommerce store.
According to statistics, the number of online shoppers is increasing every year and it’s expected that it will reach 21.1 billion by 2021. And while there may be many people who shop online, there is also a large number of online fashion stores for them to choose from.
If you really want to succeed in this business, you need to make sure your eCommerce store stands out from the competition. Here are some tips that will help you boost your fashion eCommerce store and make a profit.
Have a well-designed website
While it is important to sell high-quality products on your eCommerce store, the website where you do that is equally important. Your site is supposed to establish credibility to your brand as well as trust among your potential buyers.
Some of the most important features your website should have include:
- Mobile-friendliness. An eCommerce website will be more successful if it’s fully optimized for mobile devices. According to mobile marketing statistics, mobile devices are used for over 40% of online transactions.
- Simple navigation. One of the reasons people shop online is the convenience eCommerce stores provide. However, if your website is too complicated and hard to navigate, you will rob people of that convenience. If people aren’t able to easily find what they are looking for on your website, you will lose potential customers.
- Fast loading. Page speed is another important factor that will determine the success or failure of your website. When a potential customer comes across a slow-loading website, they will lose patience and simply exit the website.
Never sell on your home page
One of the biggest mistakes you could make is selling right away on the homepage. If you visit the websites of popular and successful eCommerce businesses, you will notice that they all have one thing in common – none of them tries to sell their products directly on the homepage.
Instead, marketing and promotional strategies on your website should entice visitors to explore your website further before ending up on the product pages. These strategies include showing off customer reviews and testimonials, as well as brand achievements.
Your website’s homepage is the first thing potential customers will see when they visit your website. It also helps them decide whether or not to stay on your website, so it needs to make a great first impression. And trying to sell them something right on the home page seems too eager and unprofessional.
Use only high-quality images
One of the biggest issues customers have with eCommerce stores is not being able to see the products in person. Instead, they need to rely on pictures. That is why your images need to be realistic representations of the products and show them off in the best light.
Product images can greatly influence potential customers and help them decide whether or not they want to purchase something. Below are some steps you need to follow in order to take the best images of your products.
- Hire a professional photographer. Taking high-quality photos isn’t as easy as it seems, so it’s always best to hire a professional. However, if your budget doesn’t allow this, take the photos yourself, but make sure to use a professional camera.
- Prepare the garment. If you really want to showcase your product in the best light, you need to fix all imperfections before photographing it. Always iron or steam the garment, and make sure to remove or hide all tags and stickers.
- Use a mannequin or a live model. Clothes look much different on hangers than they do on people. It is much better to use mannequins or live models (if you can afford this option). If you do this, your potential customers will be able to see the shape of the product much clearer.
- Take pictures from all angles. Customers won’t be satisfied with just one or two images. It’s important to take pictures of every product from all angles and include the zoom option. This will give customers an accurate representation and provide them with a more enjoyable shopping experience.
Think about clothing inventory management
Managing your clothing inventory is one of the most challenging parts of running a fashion eCommerce store. If you want to stay one step ahead of your customers, you need to predict what will be in demand, have everything ready in storage, and have great inventory management.
Inventory management is a crucial part of running your business because you need to know approximately how many items you need. For example, a customer can lose trust in your brand if an item they want is out of stock.
While stock-outs are bad, holding too much inventory isn’t a good thing, either. There are a lot of additional costs that come with having a large inventory. These include additional space for storing inventory and higher insurance costs.
There are a couple of different approaches to inventory management. The three most popular include:
- The “pen and paper” method. This approach requires retailers to make a list of all items they have in stock and count them by hand. While this method can work for stores with a small inventory, it’s impossible to apply it for bigger businesses. Needless to say, its biggest issue is the possibility of miscounting.
- Using a spreadsheet. This is a much easier and more modern approach than the previous one, as it involves using Microsoft Excel or Google Sheets. While you would still need to count out your inventory by hand, you will be able to keep track of it on a spreadsheet with various useful functions.
- Using clothing inventory software. If you’re serious about having a profitable business, you will need a more reliable way to keep track of your inventory. The best choice would be to use a clothing inventory app that will do the work for you and help you modernize the way you run your store.
Keep your loyal customers satisfied
Customer loyalty is an important part of running an eCommerce business, as it’s much more affordable to keep an existing customer than it is to acquire a new one. Your customers need to know that you appreciate the fact that they buy from you, and you can show your appreciation with a loyalty program.
These types of programs are beneficial for both parties, as they provide the customer with special rewards or perks, while you’re making a profit. If a customer is satisfied, they are more likely to come back to your store and spend more money.
These rewards can be anything you choose, but most businesses offer special deals, free shipping, or discount codes. Most stores offer these rewards when a customer spends a certain amount of money or fulfils some other criteria that guarantee they will come back for more.
Advertise your store on social media
One of the best ways of promoting your fashion eCommerce store is through social media. A lot of businesses use this marketing strategy as it’s cost-effective and reaches people from all over the world.
There are many social media platforms out there, and not all of them are suitable for promoting a fashion eCommerce store. The two best choices would probably be the websites that focus on visuals, which are Instagram and Pinterest.
You can use your accounts on these platforms to share pictures of your products and promote them, as well as interact with your customers. Encourage people to leave ratings and comments, and try to reply to all the comments if you can. This is a great way to show you care about customer satisfaction.