Laura Pradelska is a London-based actress currently cast as Quaithe in HBO’s Game of Thrones. We caught up with her to find out more about her life, acting and of course fashion.
1. When did fashion/a sense of personal style first become important to you? My father always says that I was a very opinionated toddler who had clear ideas of what she wanted to wear. I would apparently insist on wearing summer shoes in the winter and winter shoes in the summer. But my first memory of when style became important to me has to be my discovery of a shop in the town I grew up in; Frankfurt (Germany). The store was called “Filiale” and it featured many labels including “People of the labyrinth” and I remember begging my parents to buy me one of their jumpsuits (they didn’t…)
2. Who is your style icon (living or dead)? For me it is Kate Moss for her incredible ability to mix vintage and high street, Jane Birkin for her effortless style and finally Dita von Teese as I truly admire her ability to always look so beautifully polished in her ’50s-style clothes.
3. How would you describe London style? I think London style is all about diversity, different cultures and areas people live in. There is a distinct style in Knightsbridge and Chelsea that very much differs from East London.
4. If you could live anywhere else in the world where would it be (and why)? I would live in Los Angeles again. I spent 8 years there and I know the city well and have a lot of friends there. Also, it would work well career wise.
5. Limited to just a suitcase, which items from your wardrobe would you have to take with you? My engagement ring, my vintage Chanel bag that my mom inherited from my grandmother, my beige Vivienne Westwood pirate boots and my kindle.
6. What are your most used grooming/beauty products? I would say I mostly use Shu Uemura products that my friend Anton Denver (who is a make up artist for the company) recommends. I usually start off with the cleansing oil and then use their various face creams and lotions.
7. When and where did you look your best? Without sounding too vain, I think I always look best when I am happiest. That could have been the night I won the Fringe Report Award for Best Actor, my engagement or any night really when I am surrounded by people I love.
8. Which is your favourite season of the year (and why)? Summer because it is warm and I love wearing short dresses without tights
9. Who in your own family most influenced your sense of style? Probably my father. He always dresses like a true English gentleman, come rain or shine you will see him in a sharp tailored suit and tie.
10. If life was a movie, which film would you most like to live in? I would be happy to exist in Woody Allen’s film “Midnight in Paris” – It would be fascinating to hang out at Gertrude Stein’s house in Paris
11. Which grooming or fashion mistakes most irk you in others? Without being rude, but I find hairy legs on women a little bit tough to look at.
12. Cat or dog? Cat (I really want one, but my fiance is more of a dog person)
13. What lesson would you pass on to younger people following in your shoes? Follow your instincts and most importantly, your individuality. Also, never apologise for your style. As long as you are comfortable- you’ll look amazing.
14. What motivates you in your career? My love for acting. The harder I try and the more committed I am- the more I get to act and work with fantastic, interesting and sometimes challenging people.
15. If you could trade looks with anyone who would that person be? Well I would trade with all the Kates (Moss, Bosworth, Blanchett)
16. What category of clothing are you most drawn to/are most likely to overspend on? I am a slave to leather jackets- vintage or new, I have collected them since I was 14 years old and wear them with everything. A little tip; the high street shops All Saints and Zara sell some of the best.
17.Which is your most treasured sense? Probably my hearing , as I love music.
18.Name three elements of a perfect holiday 1) My fiancé 2) beach 3) cocktails (on the beach)
19. If you could change a single aspect of your appearance what would it be? I am not in love with my nose but I am growing to accept it.
20. Your ideal lunch venue and guest? I love having dinner at Shoreditch house with my close friends; Azim, Josh, Anton, Sophie, Francesca, Kristina and Dani.