Joy Desmond is a London-based philanthropist, mother to Angel Millie and wife of media mogul Richard. Raised in Orange County, California, her early career included an 11 year stint at British Airways. A dedicated follower of fashion, music and travelling, we caught up with her for the latest in our Q&A series.
1. When did fashion/a sense of personal style first become important to you?
When I realized that people would comment on what you’re wearing – what shoes you have and what bag you carry.
2. Who is your style icon (living or dead)?
Heidi Klum. I love her!
3. How would you describe London style?
Chic and elegant in the circles in which I associate.
4. If you could live anywhere else in the world where would it be (and why)?
Newport Beach California. It’s where I am from and all of my family and friends are there.
5. Limited to just a suitcase, which items from your wardrobe would you have to take with you?
Skinny jeans, high heels and my colourful flowing tops.
6. What are your most used grooming/beauty products?
Armani make-up and my featherweight hair dryer.
7. When and where did you look your best?
I will leave that question for my friends to answer. I don’t know.
8. Which is your favourite season of the year (and why)?
Summer! People are happier and their wardrobes are brighter.
9. Who in your own family most influenced your sense of style?
My fabulous Auntie Pam.
10. If life was a movie, which film would you most like to live in?
My life IS a movie. It’s very exciting living with my husband, Richard Desmond – the king of media!
11. Which grooming or fashion mistakes most irk you in others?
When women wear sheer tights underneath jean shorts…ugh, ugh, ugly!
12. Cat or dog?
Both, I love all animals. But if I must choose, then CAT.
13. What lesson would you pass on to younger people following in your shoes?
Always listen to your intuition, smile at everyone and dream big!
14. What motivates you in your career?
I am a full time mother so of course my beautiful and amazing daughter, Angel, motivates me every second of the day.
15. If you could trade looks with anyone who would that person be?
No one, otherwise my husband probably wouldn’t fancy me.
16. What category of clothing are you most drawn to/are most likely to overspend on?
17. Which is your most treasured sense?
I believe all 5 are equally important. I cannot decide.
18. Name three elements of a perfect holiday
Family, sunshine and water.
19. If you could change a single aspect of your appearance what would it be?
I’d be one of those skinny b****s who can eat everything and not gain a pound!
20. Your ideal lunch venue and guest
In a very sophisticated restaurant with my husband sharing a bottle of red.