Victoria Beckham has undergone a huge transformation since she first stepped into the public eye 20 years ago – from Spice Girl to footballer’s wife, to fashion icon and cult designer.
It’s been a battle for Victoria to get to this point and she’s won her place in the fashion hierarchy through sheer hard work and determination. Being famous is not always an advantage when it comes to fashion design – in the years following her pop star days, brands did not want to be associated with the ex-Spice Girl and her first collections received a lukewarm reception.
It is proof of her determination that the eponymous Victoria Beckham fashion label achieved a huge £30 million turnover last year and its designs have been seen on celebrities including Miranda Kerr, Beyoncé and Gwyneth Paltrow. So what does the woman behind the label have to say?
1. On wedge shoes: “Some wedges are great but you can look like your feet are encased in cement.”
2. On her lifetime love of fashion: “I have always loved fashion since I was a kid and customized my school uniforms.”
3. On her fashion evolution: “When I started out in fashion, everything had to be very structured and tight and controlling, and now I’m getting to a point where I think – I could wear a great big parka, that could be quite fabulous. I haven’t always got to show off my size, show off my shape. It’s a turning point for me.”
4. On disguising your shortcomings: “If you haven’t got it. Fake it! Too short? Wear big high heels, but do practice walking!”
5. On the red carpet: “I’ve been that celebrity on the red carpet, and I appreciate that something hasn’t got to just look good from the front, from the back, it’s got to look good at all angles.”
6. On clothes shopping: “I very, very rarely get the opportunity to go shopping and actually feel the clothes and try things on. I love shopping, but I do it mostly through Net-a-Porter.”
7. On flat shoes: “I can’t concentrate in flats!”
8. On her past: “Everybody changes. I love fashion, and I love changing my style, my hair, my makeup, and everything I’ve done in the past has made me what I am now. Not everyone is going to like what I do, but I look back at everything, and it makes me smile.”
9. On her toddler daughter, Harper: “She just loves fashion. She sat through all the presentations in New York and she just cooed. I was so proud. Finally there’s someone in my house who likes fashion more than premiership football. Result.”
10. On being a fashion designer: “[Designing clothes is] my passion. I love women’s bodies. I love luxury.”