It’s been over 50 years since Marilyn Monroe tragically died at the age of 36 and yet her legacy to the world in terms of fashion, style and Hollywood glamour, shows no sign of being forgotten.
Marilyn is of course famous for her movie roles, her tumultuous personal relationships and her iconic pinup images, but she also had a huge impact on the fashion industry of today. She seemed to have a knack for spotting up and coming designers and sported items by Salvatore Ferragamo, Louis Vuitton and Emilio Pucci when they were relative unknowns.
Marilyn’s glamorous red carpet looks have also been copied numerous times by the stars of today – she caused somewhat of a scandal when she wore a gold lame halter-neck gown for an awards ceremony that was so tight she had to be sewn into it. Similar designs have been seen more recently on Naomi Watts and Elizabeth Hurley. And of course the winning combination of platinum blonde hair, red lipstick and black eyeliner have inspired copycats from Madonna to Michelle Williams.
Here are 10 of our favourite Marilyn Monroe quotes on fashion and style:
1. “Give a girl the right shoes, and she can conquer the world.”
2. “I don’t know who invented high heels, but all women owe him a lot.”
3. “Your clothes should be tight enough to show you are a woman, but lose enough to show you’re a lady.”
4. “Fame has a special burden, which I might as well state here and now. I don’t mind being burdened with being glamorous and sexual. But what goes with it can be a burden. I feel that beauty and femininity are ageless and can’t be contrived, and glamour, although the manufacturers won’t like this, cannot be manufactured. Not real glamour; it’s based on femininity. I think that sexuality is only attractive when it’s natural and spontaneous. This is where a lot of them miss the boat. And then something I’d just like to spout off on. We are all born sexual creatures, thank God, but it’s a pity so many people despise and crush this natural gift. Art, real art, comes from it, everything.”
5. “No one ever told me I was pretty when I was a little girl. All little girls should be told they’re pretty, even if they aren’t.”
6. “Either you have it or you don’t. You can’t buy it!”
7. “Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it’s better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.”
8. “Always be yourself. Retain individuality; listen to the truest part of yourself.”
9. “To all the girls that think you’re fat because you’re not a size zero, you’re the beautiful one, its society who’s ugly.”
10. “We are all of us stars, and we deserve to twinkle.”