We know him best in his role as Smithy in Gavin & Stacey but since the show finished in 2010, James Corden has gone on to star in movies including the Disney box office hit musical, Into the Woods and even has his own talk show, The Late Late Show with James Corden, on US TV. You might not think it to look at him, but James also has some surprising links with the fashion world and as his career continues to grow, we’re sure to see more from him in the future. Here are 10 things you might not have heard about the actor, comedian and talk show host:
1. Before his rise to fame as a film and TV actor, James Corden starred in one of the banned Tango adverts of the 90s. In the advert a younger Corden is harassed by men taunting him through megaphones. The advert was banned because viewers complained it encouraged bullying of fat people.
2. He was awarded an OBE in the 2015 New Year Honours, for services to entertainment and charity. James said he was “thrilled, overwhelmed and honoured to be recognised in such a way. I feel very lucky to be born in a country where creativity is both encouraged and valued”.
3. He’s a good friend of Anna Wintour and says they regularly have lunch together. She says he’s her favourite comedian and he says she’s “an unbelievably supportive, caring, warm lady”
4. James left school at 17 with only two GCSEs to his name. In his European Studies exam, he wrote: “Dear Examiner, I have done no work in the last two years for this exam… I don’t know any of the answers to these questions”.
5. Naomi Campbell taught him how to strut down the catwalk when she was a guest on his US Late Late Show. He later joined her in closing the Burberry LA show, giving Anna Wintour a high five on the way down. After his performance, Christopher Bailey jokingly hailed him as the “new fashion icon”.
6. He’s been in Vogue magazine twice – he appeared in the April 2012 issue talking about his Broadway show, One Man, Two Guvnors, and photographed in an Alexander McQueen suit in the December 2014 issue, discussing his role in Into the Woods and his new role as the host of the Late Late Show.
7. James Corden will host the 2015 Council of Fashion Designers of America Fashion Awards this month. Previous hosts include John Waters, Andy Cohen and Seth Meyers.
8. Corden co-starred in a National Theatre production of The History Boys with actor Dominic Cooper, who later became famous for his roles in several Hollywood films and TV series. The two enjoyed each other’s company so much that they shared a flat together even after James’s partner moved in. Cooper only moved out when their first child was due to be born.
9. If you’re a parent of young children you may be wondering why James Corden’s voice sounds so familiar – it’s probably because he narrated the CBeebies programme Little Charley Bear and played the part of the Mouse on The Gruffalo and The Gruffalo’s Child.
10. He created a spoof underwear ad with none other than David Beckham. The advert shows the two posing artistically beside each other in moody tones of black and white, wearing only “D&J Briefs”.