Harry Winston has re-opened its New Bond Street boutique after a 9-month renovation period.
The 322 sq. ft. boutique has been styled to resemble the original store on New York’s Fifth Avenue, with a white Portland stone archway and black and white marble floor in the entrance lobby.
Set over three floors, the emporium houses fine jewellery and bridal collections on the ground floor, high jewellery on the first floor, and watches on the second floor. The top floor is reserved for client salons and a grand curved staircase links all the floors together.
Pencil sketches and archival photographs of Harry Winston and the company’s most famous precious stones are displayed throughout.
The interior of the boutique is styled in shades of taupe and grey, with black lacquer and bronze cabinets providing a contrast to the jewellery on display. Bespoke chandeliers and hand beaded silk walls complete the luxe heritage look.
Harry Winston founded the fine jewellery house of the same name in 1932 after demonstrating a remarkable eye for spotting valuable stones in estate sales and pawn shops. He once purchased a two-carat emerald for 25 cents, and later sold it for $800.
Winston diamonds later became popular in high society, particularly among the Hollywood socialites of the ‘40s and beyond. Jackie Kennedy Onassis wore a Winston engagement ring and Richard Burton purchased a 69.42 cut diamond for Elizabeth Taylor in 1966.
The Harry Winston UK flagship first opened at 171 New Bond Street, Mayfair in 2006.