Last week it was announced that cult Parisian brand opening a store in salubrious Mayfair in January or February 2015. Here are 5 things every Londoner needs to know about the brand.
1. Pierre Balmain established his atelier in 1945 and at the height of his career was considered one of the “Big Three” alongside Christian Dior and Jacques Fath.
2. Fans of his work included the Duchess of Windsor and he also famously dressed silver screen icons Brigitte Bardot, Katherine Hepburn, Rita Hayworth and Vivien Leigh for various film leads
3. The house hired a promising young Austrian by the name of Karl Lagerfeld in the 1950s
4. Now designed by Olivier Rousteing, previous creative directors of the brand include Oscar de la Renta and Christophe Decarnin who was credited with bring something rock’n’roll to the brand, with the styling assistance of French Vogue Editor Emmanuelle Alt
5. Kim Kardashian, husband Kanye West and the Jenner women are regulars on the front row at Balmain shows in Paris