Anna Wintour is the British Editor-in-Chief of the world’s most famous fashion magazine, American Vogue - a position which she has held for 25 years. Anna is known to have an aloof and demanding personality in her profession, securing herself the nickname ‘Nuclear Wintour’. Following in her fathers footsteps Charles Wintour, who was the editor of the London Evening Standard, Anna Wintour is an extremely influential name in the fashion industry – nothing in the Vogue pages will be seen by the public without being approved by herself. Anna has promoted and reinvented fashion magazines by being the first editor to feature movie stars and singers on Vogue‘s covers, and could very well be seen as the high priestess of fashion editorial with her keen eye for detail, perfectionist personality and trademark bob haircut.
Here are our Top 10 Anna Wintour quotes.
1. “There is something about fashion that can make people really nervous.”
2. “Create your own style… let it be unique for yourself and yet identifiable for others.”
3. “It’s always about timing. If it’s too soon, no one understands. If it’s too late, everyone’s forgotten.”
4. “You either know fashion or you don’t.”
5. “If you look at any great fashion photograph out of context, it will tell you just as much about what’s going on in the world as a headline in The New York Times.”
6. “Just be true to yourself, and listen as much as one is able to to other people whose opinions you respect and look up to but in the end it has to come from you. You can’t really worry too much by looking to the left and the right about what the competition is doing or what other people in your field are doing. It has to be a true vision.”
7. “[The democratization of luxury] means more people are going to get better fashion. And the more people who can have fashion, the better.”
8. “Fashion’s not about looking back. It’s always about looking forward.”
9. “Fashion is not beautiful, neither is it ugly. Why should it be either? Fashion is Fashion”
10. And finally one from British journalist, Barbara Amiel on Anna Wintour “The notion that Anna would want something done “now” and not “shortly” is accurate.”