From her humble beginnings as the “posh one” in girl group the Spice Girls, to international style icon and Glamour magazine’s Woman of the Decade, most would agree that Victoria Beckham has come a long way since first appearing on our screens in 1996.
These days, Victoria is probably most well known as an acclaimed fashion designer and for her marriage to recently retired footballer David Beckham, but she has also had cameo roles in several television series, been a guest judge on a number of reality shows and starred as herself in five official documentaries.
Here are 10 things you might not know about Victoria Beckham:
1. Victoria originates from Essex and was born into a wealthy family. She has talked in interviews of how she would beg her father not to drop her off at school in their Rolls Royce. She was also a victim of bullying at school and has said she didn’t have any real friends.
2. She auditioned for the role of Lara Craft in the 2001 film, Tomb Raider, but lost out to Angelina Jolie.
3. British Airways lost Victoria’s suitcases after she returned to Britain from a trip to Miami and it is alleged she demanded free flights for life in compensation. After it emerged the luggage was stolen, BA offered a monetary compensation, rumoured to be around £100,000.
4. Victoria is a good friend of model, Heidi Klum. For Victoria’s 34th birthday, Heidi bought her a year’s supply of cupcakes.
5. She was awarded the Designer Brand of the year gong at the annual British Fashion Awards in 2011, beating Stella McCartney and Burberry to the top spot.
6. She owns a pair of fluorescent green trainers with a “POSH” nametag in the tongue that she uses for jogging around London.
7. Her first catwalk experience was at London Fashion Week in 2000, when she modelled for Maria Grachvogel.
8. Victoria is famous for wearing oversized sunglasses. When quizzed about it she said it hides the fact she’s been up all night with three children and not had time to put makeup on.
9. She has appeared on six Vogue covers – British Vogue in April 2008, Vogue India in November 2008, Vogue Russia in February 2009, Vogue Germany in May 2010, Vogue Turkey in August 2010 and British Vogue again in February 2011.
10. Victoria Beckham’s first fashion collection was launched for spring/summer 2009 and consisted of only dresses. Her label Victoria, Victoria Beckham launched for spring/summer 2012. Celebrities who have chosen to wear her designs to red carpet events include Eva Longoria, Cameron Diaz and Beyonce.