The character, Carrie Bradshaw once protested in an episode of Sex and the City: “You can take my Fendi baguette, you can take my ring and my watch, but please don’t take my Manolo Blahniks”. This line turned the Spanish shoe designer, previously one of fashion’s best-kept secrets, into a household name and suddenly everyone from celebrities to housewives wanted a pair of Manolo Blahniks of their very own.
The designer is famous for his beautiful and exclusive shoe designs but while he believes shoes should be sexy, he also emphasises the importance of comfort, in contrast to Christian Louboutin.
Here are 10 quotes top 10 Manolo Blahnik quotes on fashion and style:
1. “About half my designs are controlled fantasy, 15 percent are total madness, and the rest are bread-and-butter designs.”
2. “I hate platforms. The young girl who is a bit chubby, or whatever, she thinks platforms make her look taller. But no, they just make her look weird.”
3. “Shoes should be extravagant but comfortable. I want women to be able to walk around in them all day. I have never had a woman tell me that she can’t walk in my shoes. I also hate shoes that are out of anyone’s price range. It’s obscene for anyone to have to pay too much for footwear.”
4. “It feels so pretentious, boring and pompous to talk about inspirations. I hate people that go on about things like that – it is about the finished design. I have to edit myself very carefully though, I’d go wild otherwise. I’ll make five crazy styles, then I make normals. I don’t want to just create nonsense.”
5. “Men tell me that I’ve saved their marriages. It costs them a fortune in shoes, but it’s cheaper than a divorce. So I’m still useful, you see.”
6. “Some people just use beautiful things to just shop or to have a tribal feeling – ‘Oh, blah, blah, blah, I’m wearing Hermes; blah, blah, blah, I’m wearing Saint Laurent; blah-blah blah’ – because it’s like a need, a tribe, recognition: ‘Ahh, my Rolex.’ But I run away from anything which is too recognisable – it’s my nature.”
7. “[Kate Middleton is] the most ravishing young woman in the royal family. It’s fantastic and such a great honour. I think she wore my shoes once, but I’m not very good on keeping track of TV and newspapers.”
8. “People walk differently in high heels. Your body sways to a different kind of tempo.”
9. “The secret of toe cleavage, a very important part of the sexuality of the shoe; you must only show the first two cracks.”
10. “I love exaggerated, and I love eccentric, but you must be comfortable. Otherwise it is nonsense. There is nothing charming about a woman who cannot walk in her shoes.”