Did you know?
1. Harrods covers 4.5 acres, and boasts over 1 million square feet of selling space.
2. On a busy day over 100,000 people visit the store.
3. It takes over 12,000 light bulbs to illuminate the famous facade of the store.
4. Famous English playwright Noël Coward once bought an alligator for Christmas at the Harrods Pet Shop.
5. The Harrods motto is: Omnia Omnibus Ubique – ‘All things for all people, everywhere’.
6. In 1927, the Managing Directors of Harrods and Selfridges made a bet as to which would make more profits that year. Gordon Selfridge lost. His gift of a silver replica of Harrods still has pride of place in the Lower Ground Floor of the store.
7. On Wednesday, 16 November 1898, Harrods debuted England’s first “moving staircase” (aka: escalator).
9. Author A.A. Milne found the original Winnie-the-Pooh for his son Christopher Robin in the Toy Department.
10. Harrods once hired a live Egyptian cobra to guard a £62,000 pair of of haute couture ruby-sapphire-and diamond-encrusted sandals.