Jourdan Dunn is a young London-born model who made a name for herself walking the catwalk for Marc Jacobs, Louis Vuitton and Jean Paul Gaultier. In an industry where many designers still claim, “one black model is enough”, Dunn has never been shy of highlighting racism in fashion.
With a British Vogue cover to her name and over 1 million followers of her every move and outfit on Instagram, her career shows no sign of fading any time soon. Here are 10 little-known facts about Jourdan Dunn, one of the UK’s most successful models:
1. She was discovered by an agent from Storm Model Management while shopping with friends in Hammersmith Primark in 2006 when she was 15 years old.
2. She’s a close friend of Carla Delevingne – the two recently got matching tattoos of a double “D” on their right hips.
3. She became pregnant at the age of 18 – she found out at Heathrow Airport on the way to a family holiday in Jamaica and announced her news to the world in Teen Vogue, which was later criticized for glamorizing teen pregnancy. The father of her son Riley, born in 2009, was arrested just two months after the birth for dealing cocaine.
4. She’s a keen cook and even has her own cooking show – Well Dunn, produced under Jay-Z’s YouTube channel.
5. She’s the first black model to make the Forbes highest-earning models list, and is currently estimated to be earning $4 million per year.
7. She was cut from the Dior Paris couture show in Paris because she was too curvy. She later tweeted: “I’m normally told I’m cancelled because I’m ‘coloured’ so being cancelled because of my boobs is minor”.
8. She was the first black woman to model for Prada since Naomi Campbell in 1997.
9. She founded the charity, Cell For Gratitude after discovering her son was born with sickle cell anaemia.
10. Jourdan has the cover line from her first cover of i-D magazine tattooed on her arm: “You owe it to yourself. Set the world on fire”. She’s now appeared on the cover of the magazine a total of 7 times.