Emma Watson turns 24 today, and in celebration we have put together our favourite facts about the actress that you might not know.
1. Emma was born in Paris, before moving to Oxfordshire with her mother and brother when she was five.
2. Since she was 12, she has had a big crush on Hollywood actor Kevin Costner. “I met him in an elevator the other day, and I couldn’t even speak,” she told W magazine last year.
3. Emma keeps multiple personal diaries going at any one time – about yoga, people she has met, dreams. “They’ve given me a place where I can try to figure myself out,” she told Tavi of Rookie magazine.
4. It’s no wonder Emma always looks so flawless – on the set of Harry Potter she was close to the head of makeup Amanda Knights. “That was my playground. I would sit and play with lipsticks, foundations, and eye shadows; and every now and then Amanda would let me do the extras’ face paint for the Quidditch matches,” she told journalist Amanda Foreman in an interview for American Vogue.
5. The first movie she ever watched was Pretty Woman when she was 7. “That was when I started loving Julia Roberts and American movies,” she told W magazine.
6. She loves to champion home-grown talent. “I thought, if people are going to write about what I’m wearing, then I would wear young British designers who need the publicity,” she said her decision to wear Hakaan and Erdem.
7. She is also passionate about environmentally friendly fashion, having worked with both People Tree (a fair trade organization) and Alberta Ferretti on a collaboration called Pure Threads.
8. Emma was crowned GQ Woman of the Year in 2013…
9. …and earned a cool £19 million for her part in the Harry Potter films.
10. When Emma tweeted her Noah red carpet look with the caption, “I did NOT wake up like this,” it was retweeted over 6000 times. She has spoken previously of the pressures on women to look perfect. “With airbrushing and digital manipulation, fashion can project an unobtainable image that’s dangerously unhealthy. I’m excited about the ageing process. I’m more interested in women who aren’t perfect. They’re more compelling,” she said.